“Select a Canadian novelist”- this sentence indicated the upcoming troubles. Firstly I hate choosing. Being stuck in contemplation, I always rely upon counting-out rhyme to finally decide. Secondly my knowledge about Canadian literature did not extend far from L.M. Montgomery. Fortunately I did managed to break this tie, simply by letting my host mom to pick something out.
After quick examination of the cover, I discovered that the action takes place in Stratford. Is there a better reason for the newcomer to read it? Without any further hesitation I signed on the list that my ISU book will be “Spadework” by Timothy Findley.
Before I began the actual process of reading, I had examined again the cover and the word “murder” caught my attention. For those that don’t know me, I love criminal stories. I’ve read half of it. Every new character, every ambivalent situation was the sign of upcoming murder. All those moments of increased tension left me with sense of disappointments and conclusion that the introduction is so long that the actual solving the homicide will be really shallow and not gripping.
I don’t have to mention that the book wasn’t a crime story at all. This experience thaught me that I shouldn’t begin the reading with the list of demands about content. Instead allow the writer to take me on the journey around his own world.
The second part of this project was writing. I like to write. I don’t mind an audience. Well to be completely honest to extent that we both speak the same first language. Being unable to express some of my ideas and fearing to write awkwardly forced me to spend more time on each sentence. This slower pace allowed me to look deeper instead of describing the outer layer.
Did I learn something about Canada? No. The nature of interhuman relationships, which was the main theme, is equally complicated all around the world. This disables to distinguish any national characteristics. But I did spend a wonderful time sharing the anger, sadness and tears with the Kincard family which led to their happy end. What’s interesting without a feeling “another book without realistic ending”.
wtorek, 17 listopada 2009
Subskrybuj:
Komentarze do posta (Atom)
Ten komentarz został usunięty przez autora.
OdpowiedzUsuńlukis, I think you did a great job on explaining yourself.
OdpowiedzUsuńTry not to be so critical when it comes to expressing yourself with the English language. Your doing an amazing job. I can understand what your saying, however... watch your short sentences, somewhat distracting - don't get discouraged.. just blend a little better. Also, make sure you use the right tense.
for example,
"After [a] quick examination of the cover, I discovered that the action take[s][or took] place in Stratford." Its not a major problem. I'm just trying to be helpful.
Also
"I had examined [again the cover] and the word “murder” caught my attention. somewhat awkward.
[I had examined the cover again and the word “murder” caught my attention.]
i love true crime as well.
Anyways. good luck with the rest of your ISU and i hope my constructive criticism and advice helped you out a bit.
Hope to hear from you soon on my ISU!!
Only L.M. Montgomery! Egad! That won't do! I'm glad you found someone else. Good reflection, but yes, it could use some more editing. Toss up bits of the apologia and explication as well.
OdpowiedzUsuńThat's why it is only a draft :D
OdpowiedzUsuńPaige I will comment on your blog tomorow :D
Thanx for advice
Egad! is my new favourite word :)
OdpowiedzUsuńwhat is the signifigance of the bit about your selection of the book? I'm not sure that it adds to your reflection.
I like your reflections about how writing in english forced you to think more carefully
But that's true, especially at the begining when I knew many of the words I wanted to use, but simply it took more time to find them in the void area of the brain :P
OdpowiedzUsuń